A culturally responsive teacher does the following:
- Acknowledges and legitimizes different cultural heritages
- Connects meaning between home and school experiences
- Teaches students to understand and appreciate their own heritage.
- Incorporates multicultural knowledge, resources, and materials in all subjects.
- Critically examines own attitudes and assumptions
- Changes the course of students’ lives by providing active, persistent, and positive interventions.
- Builds trusting relationships
- Mentors and advocates for students
- Transmits academic knowledge and skills